To use this plugin you must first install and active the Simple Links plugin which may be downloaded for free here:
Once you purchase the pro version you will receive a download link for the pro plugin. You may also download the pro plugin any time by going to the Account section of this site. Upload the pro plugin using the standard WordPress plugin installer and activate plugin.
Here are some step by step instructions.
Display Links Assigned To All Selected Categories
To only display links which are assigned to all selected categories, look for the widget option labeled “Only display links assigned to all selected categories”. This option is also available when using the shortcode by adding both_categories=”true” to any shortcode.
Visual shortcodes allow you see what you list of links will look like within your content. You may turn on this feature in Simple Links -> Settings. Once activated any use of the [simple-links] shortcode will display the actual list of links within the post/page content editor. You may still use the shortcode form to create the initial shortcode. You may edit existing shortcodes by hovering over the list of links and clicking the edit icon. Currently editing the shortcode does not give you the full editing form, but instead uses the basic “Insert From Url” field in the WordPress embed form.
Displaying Links By Category
You will find a new section inside the standard Simple Links widgets which looks like this:
- Display Links By Category – when this option is checked the links will output in separate lists based on the category(s) they are assigned to
- Display Category Title – when this option is checked the title of each category will display above the list of links
- Display Category Description – when this option is checked the category description will display above the list of links
The options for this functionality are available using the short-code generating form.
You may also enter them manually like so.
- Display Links By Category – [simple-links display_links_by_category=”true” ]
- Display Category Title – [simple-links display_links_by_category=”true” display_category_title=”true”]
- Display Category Description – [simple-links display_links_by_category=”true” display_category_title=”true” display_category_description=”true”]
- If the shortcode or widget has categories selected only the selected categories will display.
- If the “Number of Links” option is used, this will display the selected number of links per category. For instance if 10 is selected, each category will display 10 links.
- All other options work as normal.
The output of the widget or shortcode will use your theme’s styles for the output. It will look almost identical to standard Simple Links output except your links will be broken up into separate sections based on category. For instance if you are using that default 2014 theme, the display will look something like this:
Importing and exporting links
You will find a new menu item under Simple Links which looks like this:
Once you have clicked on the Import/Export link you see find a very easy to use page.
- To export your existing links use the button next to arrow number 1.
- To download the template to use when creating your csv to import use the link by number 2.
- Once you have filled out the template with your new links use the button by number 3 to upload and import your file.
There is currently nothing to configure here. Links will automatically appear in search results.