To use this plugin you must first install and active the Simple Links plugin which may be downloaded for free here:
Install this plugin like normal and once it is active you will find a new section inside the standard Simple Links widgets which looks like this:
- Display Links By Category – when this option is checked the links will output in separate lists based on the category(s) they are assigned to
- Display Category Title – when this option is checked the title of each category will display above the list of links
- Display Category Description – when this option is checked the category description will display above the list of links
The options for this functionality are available using the short-code generating form.
You may also enter them manually like so.
- Display Links By Category – [simple-links display_links_by_category=”true” ]
- Display Category Title – [simple-links display_links_by_category=”true” display_category_title=”true”]
- Display Category Description – [simple-links display_links_by_category=”true” display_category_title=”true” display_category_description=”true”]
- If the shortcode or widget has categories selected only the selected categories will display.
- If the “Number of Links” option is used, this will display the selected number of links per category. For instance if 10 is selected, each category will display 10 links.
- All other options work as normal.
The output of the widget or shortcode will use your theme’s styles for the output. It will look almost identical to standard Simple Links output except your links will be broken up into separate sections based on category. For instance if you are using that default 2014 theme, the display will look something like this: